суббота, мая 01, 2004

Asian parents?

In response to Nina's East meets West entry, I've decided to write some things abt my parents... My dad studied in UK for his tertiary education and also for a few yrs of elementary. As for my mom, she studied up till her Masters, here at home. My dad, a trained mechanical engineer and my mom, a trained surgical nurse.

Since young, they ruled with iron fists, except nobody got beaten. I never had a choice over what to do... From learning music to chinese to choosing schools etc. I hated everything of course. Oh, I couldn't choose what to eat as well!! I was such a deprived child over sweets and soft drinks. My sis, a yr younger, on the other hand had more things than I did. And everytime we fought, I got blamed. (btw, she represented Singapore for taekwondo in the previous Commonwealth games) U could tell u always got it worse.

Fast fwd: present
U could imagine tt I rebelled and all and duh, I did. I even failed my college exams on purpose tt I had to repeat my 1st yr. U see, I was always doing well in school and the better I did, the more demanding they became. So I failed it all to lower their expectations of me. Unfortunately, I got perpetually grounded ever since. I always couldn't go out as and when I liked and came up with excuses. Although I rebelled a lot, I was terrified of them. Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn. Believe me u, my mother can be quite the devil with words.

Then I met my current bf in college (it's been >4yrs now) and him, being a paki, has worse parents. Boy or not, no difference. I thought my mother was the devil. His is 100 times worse. At least now I have my freedom and he doesn't have his yet. See, he has 3 other brothers and I guess his parents treat them like treasures. What irks me sometimes is why he never rebels or retaliates. But he has been instilled the very traditional values of respect for the elders and not to fight back. I guess it's good in a way (so I know when I don't meet him, he's either in school or helping clean the house). He hates his values but he loves it at the same time. I guess tt's what most Asians are confused abt.

Anyway, now I'm way past my juvenility (if tt's even a word) and I am pretty much matured now. Still, my mom treats me like I'm a stupid 12y/o. If anything is wrong, it's always me. In addition to my sis, I now have a brother raging with puberty hormones. So he's no more the little angel who listens to me. My parents get through to my sis through me. I am like the bridge linking this ice-block family. She is a boyish, rebellious girl who thinks she's stronger than men, and never listens to anyone. It's irritating.

Anyhow, although we speak only English at home and don't eat with our fingers, we're still pretty much the asian family, and a much more liberal one.

Is this my most long-winded entry ever or what?! I know it didn't really flow out well... just bits and pieces.